Thursday, February 28, 2013

3rd grade learns to UYN!



What is UYN you ask?  UYN is "Using Your NetSmartz".  NetSmartz is an online program that teaches students, parents, and educators how to be safer online and in the real world.

NetSmartz Workshop is an interactive, educational program of the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children® (NCMEC) that provides age-appropriate resources to help teach children how to be safer on- and offline. The program is designed for children ages 5-17, parents and guardians, educators, and law enforcement. With resources such as videos, games, activity cards, and presentations, NetSmartz entertains while it educates.

NetSmartz Goals:
    Educate children on how to recognize potential Internet risks
    Engage children and adults in a two-way conversation about on- and offline risks
    Empower children to help prevent themselves from being exploited and to report victimization to a trusted adult.

Students learned the NetSmartz Rules of Internet Safety:
1.  I will tell my trusted adult if anything makes me feel sad, scared, or confused.
2.  I will ask my trusted adult before sharing information like my name, address, and phone number.
3.  I won't meet face-to-face with anyone from the internet.
4.  I will always use good netiquette and not be rude or mean online.

Student learned the NetSmartz Rules of Real-World Safety:
1.  I will always check first with my parent, guardian, or other trusted adult before going anywhere, helping anyone, accpeting anything, or getting into a car.
2.  I will take a friend with me when going places or playing outside.
3.  I will tell people "NO" if they try to touch or hurt me.  It's OK for me to stand up for myself.
4.  I will tell my trusted adult if anything makes me feel sad, scared, or confused.

Check out Clicky and his friends and KNOW THE RULES!